Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Durga



I saw a carved face of Durga in a relatives house and fell in love with the intricate workman ship. Shola pith work is so beautiful. I had it in my memory for a long time. Then when I was discussing paper embossing with a friend, we had this idea of making a similar piece with paper instead of the soft white wood. After much thought, and lot of procrastination, I finally got around to doing it. For the face I used paper clay, and shaped the face. The rest is ivory paper and paper embossing. Perhaps the picture does not show the intricacies of the embossing, but then how can one compare a carved beauty to an amateur attempt in paper embossing. But I had to try and find out how far I could go

2 comments:

I love Lucy said...

Beautiful!
*doffing my hat in admiration*
You are super talented!

Thought Room said...

Thanks, you are so sweet.